Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but you can reach the Department of History, Monday–Friday 8am-5pm, at 520-621-1586 or by email to email@example.com.
Please use the "people" tab to find contact information for individual faculty and staff. Continue to check your UArizona email and course D2L sites for developing information.
- Complete 45 hours work/credit = 135 hours work for 3 credits/semester
- Meet with faculty advisor on a regular basis
- Complete material not offered in a regularly scheduled class.
Student and Faculty Responsibilities
- Meets with supervising faculty member prior to initiating independent study
- In consultation with supervising faculty member, creates syllabus of reading and writing assignments appropriate to course level, class standing (i.e. HST199/299 for freshman/sophomore, HST 399/499 for junior/senior) and number of units
- Meets with supervising faculty member throughout semester, per independent study agreement
- Submits a written statement at beginning of semester describing scope of project and responsibilities
- Meets with supervising faculty member for end-of-semester review
Supervising Faculty Member
- Signs off on student's written statement describing responsibilities at beginning of semester
- In consultation with student, creates syllabus of reading and writing assignments appropriate to course level, class standing (i.e. HST199/299 for freshman/sophomore, HST 399/499 for junior/senior) and number of units
- Evaluates student's performance in independent study upon completion
Term of Independent Study
- No independent study can extend for more than one semester