Applicants for the graduate program must have completed the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree with a major in history or a related discipline before beginning graduate study. Students without a background in history are advised to take a course(s) on a non-degree basis before applying. Submit the following:
- A declaration stating whether you are seeking candidacy for the M.A. or Ph.D.
- A statement of purpose: indicate your intellectual interests, their relevance to your career goals, and how our program might fit your plans. Specify areas of concentration, and where feasible, faculty with whom you plan to work.
- Official Transcripts from previous institutions.
- Your scores from the verbal, quantitative, and analytical tests of the GRE.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A writing sample (published or unpublished). Required for all applicants. (One sample for the Master’s program, two samples for the Ph.D. program).