Department of History
Social Sciences 215
1145 E. South Campus Drive
Tucson, AZ 85721
Tel: (520) 621-1586
Fax: (520) 621-2422
Interim Department Head
Social Sciences 215B
Tucson, AZ 85721
Tel: (520) 621-1586
Fax: (520) 621-2422
Regents Professor of History
Office: SS 120A
Courses Taught: click HERE
- University of Michigan , Department of History, Ph.D., 1974, "The United States and China , 1938-1945"
- Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies in Taipei , administered by Stanford University , 1971-2
- University of Michigan , Department of History, M.A., 1969
- State University of New York at Binghamton , B.A., 1968
- Hewit Visiting Distinguished Professor of History, University of Northern Colorado , 2004
- Anschutz International History Fellow, University of Colorado , 2004
- National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Research Stipends, 1992, 1985, 1975
- Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Research Grant, 1991
- Eisenhower World Affairs Institute Research Grant, 1991
- Fulbright Lecturer to the People's Republic of China , 1983
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 1981-2
- National Endowment for the Humanities Senior Research Fellowship, 1980-81
- Herbert Hoover Presidential Library Research Grant, 1985
- Harry S. Truman Library Research Grant, 1981 and 1985
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Foundation Grant, 1985
- University of Arizona Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Institute, Research Grants, 1992, 1991, 1986,1985
- American Philosophical Society Research Grant, 1981
- University of Arizona , Regents Professor of History, appointed 2002
- University of Arizona Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Institute: Research Professor Awards, 2001-02, 1995
- University of Arizona College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Most Distinguished Teacher Award, 1998-99
- Bernath Prize Lecturer for 1985, Annual Address before the Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations
- Bernath Book Prize, 1980, awarded by the Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations for THE U.S. CRUSADE IN CHINA , 1938-45
- Fellow in Policy Studies, Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy, University of Arizona , 1991-92
- Visiting Scholar, Johns Hopkins University , School of Advanced International Studies, 1980-81
- Visiting Distinguished Professor, University of Colorado , Boulder , 2004
- University of Arizona , Regents Professor of History, Appointed 2002
- University of Arizona , Head, Department of History, 1987-94
- University of Arizona , Assoc Dean, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1986-87
- University of Arizona , Professor, Department of History, 1984
- University of Arizona , Associate Professor, 1979-84
- University of Arizona , Assistant Professor, 1974-79
- University of Arizona , Director, Undergraduate Advising, Department of History,1982-85
- United States Foreign Policy/Diplomatic History
- United States Since 1865
- United States - East Asian Relations
- THE U.S. CRUSADE IN CHINA, 1938-1945 , N.Y.,Columbia University Press, 1979 (Chinese PRC edition, 1982)
- THE U.S. AND CHINA IN THE 20TH CENTURY , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 1979 (Chinese PRC edition, 1982) (2ndU.S. edition, revised and expanded, 1990)
- THE AMERICAN OCCUPATION OF JAPAN: THE ORIGINS OF THE COLD WAR IN ASIA , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 1985 (Japanese edition, 1997)
- DOUGLAS MACARTHUR: THE FAR EASTERN GENERAL , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 1989 (Japanese edition, 1996)
- PRESENT TENSE: THE UNITED STATES SINCE 1945 , co-authors Karen Anderson and Robert Schulzinger, Boston, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1992; 2nd ed. 1995; 3d ed. 2004
- RECKONING WITH REAGAN: AMERICA AND ITS PRESIDENT IN THE 1980s , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 1992
- ALTERED STATES: THE UNITED STATES AND JAPAN SINCE THE OCCUPATION , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 1997; Japanese edition, 2004
- COMING OF AGE: THE UNITED STATES IN THE 20TH CENTURY , co-authors Virginia Scharff and Robert Schulzinger, Boston, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1998
- THE U.S AND CHINA : INTO THE 21ST CENTURY , N.Y., Oxford University Press, 2002
- THE REPUBLICAN ASCENDANCY: AMERICAN POLITICS, 1968-2001 , co-author George Rising, Wheeling , I11., Harlan Davidson, 2002
- RIGHT TURN: AMERICAN LIFE IN THE REAGAN-BUSH ERA, Oxford University Press, 2007
- “Reagan and the Cold War,” in Deconstructing Reagan , Kyle Longley, ed., M.E. Sharpe, 2007
- “ Ronald W. Reagan,” American National Biography , Oxford University Press, 2004
- “The Korean War: The Economic and Strategic Impact on Japan, 1950-53,” in William Stueck, ed., The Korean War in World History , University Press of Kentucky, Louisville, Ky., 2004.
- “MacArthur and the Korean War: An Overview,” The New England Journal of History , Vol. 60, Fall 2003-Spring 2004, 103-117.
- “History's Lessons? In Japan: First Left, Then Right,” Newsday , April 20, 2003 (Reprinted in Japan Policy Research Institute Critique , Vol. X, no. 2, May 2003)
- “ U.S. – Japan Trade/Security Trade-Offs, 1948-1991,” in Japan and the United States Reconsidered: Evolution of Security and Economic Choices Since 1960 , Economic Strategy Institute, Washington , D.C. , 2002.
- "The Republican Party, 1981-1992," in Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., and Fred Israel, eds., HISTORY OF U.S. POLITICAL PARTIES , Chelsea House, Philadelphia , 2002.
- “MacArthur's Japan : The View from Washington ,” in William Leary, ed., MacArthur and the American Century, University of Nebraska Press , Lincoln , Nebraska , 2001.
- "Okinawa Reversion in the Nixon Administration,” in REPORT TO THE PRESIDENT ELECT: TRIUMPHS AND TRAGEDIES OF THE MODERN PRESIDENCY , Washington , D.C. , Center for the Study of the Presidency, 2001
- "Drinking Your Mao Tai and Having Your Vodka, Too: Détente and the Strategic Triangle," in Robert Ross, ed., REEXAMINING THE COLD WAR , Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Press, 2001
- "The United States , Japan , and China : A 50 Year Assessment," in Akira Iriye, ed., THE UNITED STATES AND JAPAN : A 50 YEAR APPRAISAL , Kodansha International, Tokyo , 2001
- "The CIA and Japanese Politics," Asian Perspective , Vol. 24, No.4, 2000, pp. 79-103
- "U.S. Government Secrecy about Japan ," March 1999, Japan Policy Research Institute Critique , Vol. 6, no.3
- "Godzillas, Present and Past," May 16, 1998, The New York Times , Op Ed page
- "General Douglas MacArthur and the Politics of the Pacific War," in The Pacific War Revisited , eds. Gunter Bischof and Robert L. Dupont (Baton Rouge, La., 1997)
- " America 's Favorite War Criminal: Kishi Nobusuke and the Transformation of U.S. -Japan Relations," This Is Yomiuri , August 1995, published by Yomiuri Shimbun , Tokyo , Japan
- "A Discussion of Japanese-American Relations During the 1950s," Sekai Magazine (April 1995), Tokyo , Japan
- "Douglas MacArthur and the `Other Pearl Harbor': The Debacle in the Philippines ," in Pearl Harbor Revisited , Robert W. Love, Jr., ed. (N.Y., 1995)
- "Becoming Equals: The U.S. and Japan in the 1960s, " in Diplomacy in the Crucial Decade , Diane Kunz, ed.(N.Y., 1994)
- " China , Policy Conflict, and the Korean War,” in Korea and the Cold War , Kim Chull Baum and James I. Matray, eds., (Claremeont, Ca., 1994)
- "Changing American Strategic and Political Views of China, Japan, and Southeast Asia, 1945-1950," in The United States and the Asia Pacific Region in the Twentieth Century , Chinese Association of American Studies/ Institute of American Studies, ed. (Beijing, China, 1993)
- " America 's Greatest Asia Expert? Douglas MacArthur and the American Misunderstanding of China and Asia, 1935-51,” in Sino-American Relations Since 1900 , ed. by Priscilla Roberts, Centre of Asian Studies, University of Hong Kong , 1991
- "The Boundaries of Chaos: Douglas MacArthur and Taiwan , 1949-1951,” Social Science Front ( China ), Summer 1989
- "The Wrong War: A Review of the Literature on the Korean War," International Security , December 1986
- "MacArthur's Japan : The View From Washington ," Diplomatic History , January 1986
- "Counsel General 0. Edmund Clubb, John P. Davies, and the `Inevitability of Conflict' Between the U.S. and China ,1949-50," Diplomatic History , Spring 1985
- " Japan , China and Southeast Asia: Regional Integration and Containment, 1947-50," in The Occupation of Japan : The International Context , ed. by Thomas W. Burkman,
- MacArthur Memorial Foundation, Norfolk , Va. , 1984
- "Securing the Great Crescent : Occupied Japan and the Origins of the Cold War in Asia ," Journal of American History , September 1982
- "Command Crisis in China , 1944, 11 Diplomatic History , Summer 1980
- "American Air Strategy in China , 1938-41: The Origins of Clandestine Air Warfare," American Quarterly , Spring 1976
- " SACO ! The U.S. Navy's Secret War in China ," Pacific Historical Review , November 1975
- "The Federal Prohibition of Marijuana," Journal of Social History , Fall, 1970
- Franklin D. Roosevelt and the “China Question”: Retrospect and Legacies, Invited Paper presented at “In the Shadow of FDR Conference,” Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library, Hyde Park , N.Y. , Sept. 24, 2005
- Occupied Japan , Occupied Iraq and the Misuse of Historical Analogy, April 20, 2004, University of Colorado , Boulder
- Japanese Horror Films and the Anti-Nuclear Movement in the 1950s, April 15, 2004 University of Northern Colorado , Greeley
- Reagan Redux: Presidential Memoirs and the (Re)Construction of Political Memory, August 3, 2002, Pacific Coast Branch Meeting of AHA, Tucson , Az
- The Trade and Security Tradeoff in Japanese-American Relations Since 1945, October 23, 2001, Economic Strategy Institute, Washington , D.C.
- The Political Economy of America 's Pacific Century, April 28, 2001, Organization of American Historians, Los Angeles , Ca.
- The Japanese Peace and Security Treaties after 50 Years: Retrospect and Prospect, January 5, 2001, American Historical Assoc. Meeting, Boston , Mass.
- War in Korea and the Impact on Japan, October 1, 2000, Conference on the 50th Anniversary of the Korean War, George H.W. Bush Presidential Library, Texas A & M
- University, College Station , Texas
- The Japan Factor at the Beginning and End of the Cold War in Asia, Jan. 16, 1999, Fairbank Center for Asian Studies, Harvard University
- Godzilla - The Monster's Tale and Japanese-American Relations, Oct. 28, 1998, Woodrow Wilson Center , Washington , D.C.
- Learning to Live with the Devil We Know: The U.S., Japan , and the Nixon Shocks, Aug.12, 1998, East-West Center, University of Hawaii , sponsored by the National Security Archive
- The Origins of U.S. - China Détente: The International Context, October 29, 1996, International Conference on SinoAmerican Détente, Jointly Sponsored by the Fairbank Center and the Central Party School Center for Strategic Studies, Beijing, PRC.
- The Nixon Shocks and the Transformation of U.S. – Japan Strategic Relations, March 1996, The Woodrow Wilson Center , Washington , D.C.
- Japan and the United States, From World War to Cold War, November 9, 1995, History and International Relations Colloquium, Pomona College, Claremont, Ca.
- Strategy, Politics, and the Pacific War, 1941-45, June 24, 1995, Wisconsin Veterans Museum , Madison , Wisconsin .
- America 's Favorite War Criminal: Kishi Nobusuke and the Transformation of U.S. - Japan Relations, March 15, 1995, Department of History, UCLA, Los Angeles , CA .
- The Wise Men of Foreign Affairs and U.S. Policy Toward Postwar Japan, March 1, 1995, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan.
- American Covert Funding and Japanese Politics, 1950-60, Hosei University Seminar, March 3, 1995, Tokyo , Japan .
- The China Factor in Japanese-American Relations, 1953-68, Institute of American Studies/Chinese Academy of Social Science , October 1994, Beijing , PRC.
- The U.S. , Japan , and the Politics of the Vietnam War, American Historical. Association, San Francisco , Ca, January 1994
- Researching the Reagan Presidency: Sources and Challenges in Writing Contemporary History, Organization of American Historians, April 1993, Anaheim , CA .
- Japan and the Crisis of Southeast Asia During the Eisenhower Administration, Conference of the Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations, June 20, 1992, Hyde Park, N.Y.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Douglas MacArthur, and `The Other Pearl Harbor': The Debacle in the Philippines, Conference on the United States and Japan in World War II, Hofstra University, December 7, 1991
- John Foster Dulles, The Japanese Peace Treaty, and Southeast Asia, Symposium on the 40th Anniversary of the U.S. -Japan Peace Treaty, Woodrow Wilson School , Princeton University , November 8, 1991.
- The United States , China , Japan and Southeast Asia: Changing Security Policies, 1945-1953, International Conference on the U.S. in the Asia-Pacific Region, Institute of American Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Science, Beijing , China , May 1991
- America 's Greatest Asia Expert: The Strange Case of Douglas MacArthur, Caucus on Asian History, American Historical Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco , 1989
- Gen. Douglas MacArthur and the Development of American China Policy During the Korean War, International Conference on Sino-American Relations, University of Hong Kong, January 1990
- The Boundaries of Chaos: Douglas MacArthur and Taiwan , 1949-51, Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations, Washington , D.C. , June, 1988
- MacArthur, Korea and American Politics, China Seminar, Jackson School of International Affairs, Seattle, Wash., May, 1988
- America 's `Greatest Asia Expert': MacArthur and Asia, 1935-51, Western Regional Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, Tucson , AZ , Nov. 1987
- Containment: The Perspective after Forty Years, Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations, Annapolis, Md., June 1987
- The Roots of the Japanese Miracle: Cold War and Economic Recovery, Conference on the Reconstruction of Postwar Europe and Asia, University of Minnesota , Minneapolis , November 21, 1986
- MacArthur's Japan and the Truman Administration, Organization of American Historians, 1985
- Japan , China and Southeast Asia: the Politics of Containment, 1947-50, MacArthur Memorial Conference, Norfolk , Va. , 1982
- American Journalists and Chinese Politics, 1944, Conference on American Journalists in China , Center for Asian Studies, Arizona State University , November 1982
- The U.S. Occupation of Japan and the Problem of Regional Recovery, Organization of American Historians, 1982
- The Dodge Line and Containment in Southeast Asia, International Conference on Occupied Japan , Amherst College , August 1980
- Chinese-American Relations, 1949-79, Tennessee Consortium of Asian Studies, University of the South, November 1979
- The U. S. and the Chinese Communists: A Road Not Taken, American Historical Association, Washington , D.C. , 1976
- U.S. Counterinsurgency Training in KMT China , Western Conference of the Association for Asian Studies, Tempe , AZ., 1974
- Member , U. S. Department of State Historical Advisory Committee on Classification/Declassification, 1995-2000
- Member, Editorial Board, Pacific Historical Review, 1998-2001
- Council Member, Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations, 1992-95
- Member: American Historical Association, Organization of American Historians, Society for the Historians of American Foreign Relations
FELLOWSHIPS AND GRANTS
TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
articles and chapters,
RELATED PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES